smiling teacher assisting elementary student with an assignment


Lea Bingham
Assistant Dean, University Transfer
Phillips (Building 3), room 3-126
919-536-7223, ext. 8004

Elementary Education

University Transfer Options

Students have two paths to a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. The Associate in Arts (AA) and will transfer to all UNC System schools, most North Carolina independent colleges and universities, and most out of state institutions. The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science in Teacher Preparation degrees will transfer to all UNC System universities that have an undergraduate education major and most NC Independent Colleges and Universities, and it offers more opportunities to focus on teacher preparation and gain classroom experience. Students should consult with an advisor to determine the best pathway to the desired transfer university

Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation 

The Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation (AATP) is approved for transfer to some UNC System universities and independent colleges and universities that are signatories to the NCICU Associate in Arts and Associate in Science for Teacher Preparation Uniform Articulation Agreement. The degree consists of 60 semester hours of credit (SHC) of college transfer courses. Students in this program develop a broad liberal arts foundation in writing, math, science, humanities, and social sciences.  They also complete field-specific training through a set of foundational education courses.

The Associate in Arts (AA)

The Associate in Arts (AA) is intended for students who ultimately wish to complete a baccalaureate arts degree at a four-year college or university. Students in this program develop foundational knowledge particularly business, English, fine arts, foreign languages, history, philosophy, psychology, or sociology.

Course Selection Guide

This course selection guide shown below has been developed by referencing the Baccalaureate Degree plans or the student plans for the Bachelor of Arts degrees at the universities listed below.

  • NC State University (NCSU) – BS in Elementary Education, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Concentration
  • NC Central University (NCCU) – BA in Elementary Education (K-6)
  • Eastern Carolina University (ECU) – BS in Elementary Education (K-6)
  • UNC-Greensboro (UNCG) – BS in Elementary Education, with K-6 Teacher Licensure

Students should print out and save the for their major and intended transfer university.

Printable Elementary Education Course Selection Guide (pdf)

General Education – 45 SHC (“Semester Hours of Credit”)
Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) Courses (31-32 SHC)

UGETC courses are courses which are guaranteed to fulfill a general education component at every public university in North Carolina and the private colleges that are signatories to the 2015 Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

English Composition (6 SHC)
ENG 111 Writing & InquiryENG 111ENG 111ENG 111ENG 111
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the Disciplines ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112ENG 112
Humanities/Fine Arts (H/FA) (9 SHC)

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from ART 111, 114, 115; COM 231; DRA 111, MUS 110, 112COM 231COM 231ARTAny
PHI 215 or PHI 240 AnyAnyAnyAny
One course selected from ENG 231, 232, 241, 242ENG 231AnyAnyAny
Social and Behavioral Sciences (S/BS) (9 SHC)

Select three courses from at least two disciplines

One course selected from HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 131, or HIS 132HIS 131HIS 112AnyAny
ECO 251, 252, POL 120; PSY 150, or SOC 210PSY 150AnyPSY 150Any
One additional course from aboveSOC 210AnyAnyAny
Mathematics (3-4 SHC)
One Math course selected from MAT 143, 152, 171MAT 171AnyMAT 171MAT 171
Natural Science (4 SHC)
One Science course selected from AST 151/A, BIO 110, BIO 111, CHM 151, GEL 111, PHY 110/ABIO 111AnyAnyAny but BIO 110
Additional General Education Transfer Hours (13-14 SHC)
Foreign Language (3 SHC)
Choose from American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, or Spanish. FL 112 must be taken with accompanying lab.FL 112 required by °ĿFL 112FL 211FL 112
Second Mathematics Course (3-4 SHC)
Choose from MAT 143, MAT 152, MAT 171, MAT 172, or MAT 263. Note: There are prerequisites for these courses that must be met.MAT 263AnyAnyAny
Second Natural Science Course (4 SHC)
Choose from AST 151/151A, AST 152/152A, BIO 110, BIO 111, 112, BIO 140/140A, CHM 131/A, CHM 132, CHM 151, CHM 152, GEL 111, GEL 230, PHY 110/110APHY 151AnyAnyAny
One Additional Course (3-4 SHC)
One additional coursePSY 241AnyMUS 110Any
Other Required Hours (15 SHC)

Students should consult their advisor. The listings vary based on the requirements of the selected university and the student's intended major.

College Transfer Success Course (1 SHC)
ACA 122 (This course should be taken in the student’s first semester.)ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122ACA 122
Foreign Language (0-8 SHC)
FL 111/181, 112/182 if needed to meet prerequisitesAs NeededAs NeededAs NeededAs Needed
Additional Major Course(s)

Additional college level course(s) to complete the 15 SHC requirement.

Students majoring in Elementary Education are required to have a concentration in another field. Students could start courses in that concentration at °Ŀ. Students should look at the receiving university website to determine available concentrations and courses.

HUM 110
MAT 152
PHY 152
Additional Science or Math
Concentration Courses
HEA 110
PED 110
CIS 110
EDU 216
HEA 110
Concentration Courses
Concentration Courses
  • All of these colleges of education require qualifying Praxis Core, SAT, or ACT scores before admission to the major. Taking these tests before transferring and soon after completing the second math class is recommended.
  • NC State recommends taking ELM 250 at NC State the summer before beginning junior year.
  • UNCG also requires students to complete UNCG’s MAT 115, TED 222, TED 250 prior to admission to the Teacher Education Program.

Guaranteed Admissions Pathways

°Ŀ has partnered with several universities to develop guaranteed admissions pathways for a seamless transition into their baccalaureate programs for eligible students who complete a °Ŀ university transfer degree (AA, AS, AFA, and AE). Students must apply for acceptance into these programs.

View more information about Guaranteed Admissions Pathways and the list of universities. 

Suggested Paths

Short Term

(12 months or less)

Long Term

(More than 12 months)